Friday, June 23, 2006

Color Diet

Despite my best laid plans to stop accumulating yarn, I have managed somehow to come into possession of several more sock yarns. All this winding of skeins into neat little center-pull balls on my nosti has become a bit awkward, so I finally invested in an umbrella swift. Gosh, I wish I had this all along! It makes things so much easier and the whole process smoother. Modeled on my lovely swift is Lynette sock yarn from Ruby Sapphire Yarns, in dark and dusty shades of purple and green. I went a little wild and bought three skeins of sock yarn from Ruby Sapphire. Alex is real purty shades of green, while Angel is a mix of golden browns. Ah, to be drenched in a mist of fine color.....


I also acquired two skeins of sock yarn from It's A Colorful Life, Baby Girl and Cool Ocean. These will make such nice summer socks! For next summer, of course, as I am collecting yarns so much faster than I can knit them. But I have put myself on an official yarn diet. I have decided to partake in the festivities of Stitches Midwest this August, and I am starting to save up for it now. I am looking forward to spending too much and getting beautiful yarns. I will probably be able to make it to August without buying more yarns only by fondling my current stash frequently, letting the waves of color wash over and restore me. Food may fuel the body, but color feeds the soul!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sock yarns. I told my DH I was going to stop buying fiber but haven't met that goal yet. I really like your swift, have been shopping for one myself. Do you like the one you have better than the umbrella style that is clamped to the table? May I ask where you got it? Thanks, Charlotte

Catherine said...

Charlotte,
I just adore my swift, and I highly recommend this style over the ones that clamp on a table. The self-standing ones are so much more versatile, they can go anywhere and you don't have to worry about damaging nice wood surfaces nor wonder if the swift is secure or not. I bought a Nifty Swift from The Knitting Zone online, and I think I got it in about a week's time. No affiliation but I am a happy customer! This particular swift even has little levers at the ends of each arm, so if you need extra holding power with a particular skein of yarn, you just pull out the levers and wa-la! no sagging of skein on swift.

Leanne said...

I just ordered a swift and ball winder too, that I expect to receive next week. Winding up laceweight yarn with the skein wrapped around the back of two chairs just got too laborious! I'm so looking forward to having a swift.

Anonymous said...

OMG that yarn in top picture is gorgeous.